Did you know that more than a million adults wear braces, and the trend only continues to grow every day? Whether correcting orthodontic imperfections or enhancing the appearance of your smile, adult braces can possess several benefits.
Adult braces are extensively provided by the family and cosmetic dentist and their team through a comprehensive and compassionate approach. Adult braces yield long-lasting results over a period of time.
Benefits of orthodontic braces for adults
In addition to poor aesthetics, improperly aligned teeth can also negatively impact your masticatory functions and speech. Orthodontic imperfections could be in the form of an overbite, underbite, crossbite, or open bite. Braces are dental appliances that help correct these flaws by straightening your teeth.
Straight teeth offer multiple benefits, including:
- Reduced risk of dental decay
- Decreased prevalence of gum disease
- Minimal risk of dental trauma and injuries
- Aesthetic smile
- Improved ability for brushing and flossing, especially for crowded teeth
- Reduced risk of teeth attrition caused by bruxism
- Improved occlusion
- Treatment for congenital discrepancies in the upper and lower jaw
The science behind adult braces
Braces work slowly by moving the teeth into the desired alignment. These appliances apply gentle yet constant pressure on your teeth that guides them into a better position. The process is completed over a certain period of time so that the teeth can move gradually and adjust themselves. If done too quickly, it could lead to loss of attachment and tooth mobility.
The most popular types of adult braces
Adult braces are versatile, and dentists can recommend different types of braces depending on your unique dental needs. These include:
- Traditional braces
- These conventional braces consist of individual brackets bonded to each tooth, connected through an archwire, exerting gentle pressure on the teeth.
- These braces are strong since they are made up of metal and do not stain the teeth.
- These are innovative orthodontic braces that involve thin, clear customized trays, prescribed to be worn for a recommended amount of time for ideal results.
- These are transparent aligners that are aesthetically pleasant to wear.
- Lingual braces
- These ortho devices are made up of metal and cemented to the lingual side of the teeth, and thus, they are not visible.
- However, they may interfere with normal speech.
Age is just a number; do not let it define you. You are never too old to have a gorgeous smile that boosts your confidence. Adult braces can rejuvenate your smile and appearance by correcting several aesthetically compromising flaws. With so many options to choose from, there can surely be one that meets your needs.